STL: Prosecution claims Ayyash did not go on pilgrimage in 2005, says his passport was used by someone else

Thu 13 Sep 2018 at 14:04 Law
NNA - The Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL), is currently holding the third day of its closing arguments against those accused of carrying out an attack in 14 February 2005, which killed 22 people, including the former Prime Minister of Lebanon, Rafik Hariri, and injured many others.


In today's session, the prosecution said that the accused, Salim Ayyash, had not gone to the KSA to perform pilgrimage, but had been in Lebanon back in January 2005.


"Another person had used Ayyash's passport," the prosecution said, noting that it was very possible to falsify a passport back then because passport information used to be handwritten.


"Ayyash's wife had gone on a pilgrimage visit. The accused accompanied her to the airport on January 15, 2005, but did not travel with her. Despite the fact that records show that Ayyash had travelled with his wife, his phone records, which show that he had called his wife 44 times by telephone from Lebanon, are further proof that he had been in Lebanon," the Prosecution said.


"Ayyash was the only user of his phone. He had canceled his holidays and continued his mission at the headquarters of the Civil Defense in Doueir during the pilgrimage."


==================Rana Hajj

Follow the latest National News Agency (NNA) news on Radio Lebanon 98.5, 98.1, and 96.2 FM

  • NNA Services
  • Email Service
  • Mobile App
  • Responsive Website