NNA - Maronite Patriarch Cardinal Bechara Boutros Rahi, on Thursday evening presided over the funeral in Bkerke for the late Patriarch Emeritus, Cardinal Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir.
Attending the state funeral had been President of the Republic General Michel Aoun, French Minister of Europe and Foreign Affairs, Jean-Yves Le Drian, representing French President Emmanuel Macron, Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Walid Bukhari, representing the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdul Aziz, Minister Mohammed bin Abdul Aziz Al-Kuwari representing the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad, Jordan's Cherge D'Affaire Wafa Al-Aytam representing King of Jordan Abdullah II, Palestinian Ambassador to Lebanon, Ashraf Dabour representing Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, and Ambassador Christina Rafti representing Cypriot President.
The funeral was also attended by House Speaker, Nabih Berri, Prime Minister, Saad Hariri, and scores of Lebanese officials, ministers, ambassadors, diplomats and dignitaries.
In his word at the funeral, Patriarch Rahi eulogized the late Cardinal as the "Dean of the Maronite Church and the Patriarch of Lebanon's Second Independence and Reconciliation."
"The late Patriarch shall only be absent in body but shall live on through his spread deeds," Patriarch Rahi mourned Sfeir at the funeral mass in Bkerke.
Rahi deemed the late Patriarch as a personality that does not repeat itself and a great national loss.
According to Rahi's words, the deceased "was in constant coordination with Pope John Paul II, he met with leaders of great states and was constantly concerned about the Maronite Church while carrying out liturgical reform."
The Patriarch also mourned Sfeir as a man with a resolute and unyielding position.
"The late Patriarch strengthened the bonds of national unity, rebuilt the state by eliminating the power of statelets and promoted national coexistence," said the prelate at the Requiem for the deceased Patriarch.
- Interior Minister launches hotline" 1735" for tourists
- Choucair: Cabinet determination has produced reformist austerity ...
- Khalil: rumors aimed to disrupt valuable reform project
- Finance Minister: To me, budget is done
- Minister of Culture: Budget just around the corner
- Justice Minister: GLC head remanded in custody
- Bukhari tweets: I had the honor to represent King Salman at Sfeir...
- Ruler of Dubai: Sfeir was a true example of a humble religious fi...
- President Aoun on Nurses Day: A word of tribute to the 'Apost...
- Sami Gemayel refuses tampering with Al-Akhbar newspaper’s freedom...