NNA - Beirut Greek Orthodox Archbishop Elias Aoudeh met this afternoon at the headquarters of the Archdiocese in Ashrafieh with US State Secretary for Foreign Affairs Mike Pompeo, and his wife Suzan, accompanied by US Ambassador Elizabeth Richard.
Discussions touched on the general situation and the latest developments in Lebanon and the region.
Following the one hour and a quarter meeting, Pompeo said: "It was a wonderful visit to a wonderful friend," noting that he knew Archbishop Aoudeh personally for a long time.
In an issued statement by the Archdiocese, it indicated that talks centered on "matters relating to the Orthodox Church and the Antioch Parish in Wichita, Kansas, since Ms. Pompeo belonged to the Orthodox Church and was in close relationship with its Parish."
The statement also disclosed that the wife of the Secretary of State visited on Friday St. George Cathedral and its underground museum, as well as the Church of St. Demetrius in Achrafieh, and the Library of Hope that holds religious books and Byzantine icons.
Moreover, the Archdiocese statement indicated that Pompeo and his wife had visited the Diocese in November 2015 and participated in the Divine Mass presided over by Archbishop Aoudeh at the Church of Baron Antonius and Porphyry in the House of the Archbishopric.
- Jumblatt denounces attempts to stall political action, disrupt an...
- Bou Saab says Army not involved in any budget that is not discuss...
- Bassil: Our thoughts are with French people
- Foucher thanks Lebanese for their support after cathedral fire
- Jumblatt: Contacts between Clemenceau and Haret Hreik uninterrupted
- Jammali thanks voters after winning Tripoli byelection
- Sayyed rejects tampering with civil servants and servicemen's...
- Hasbani: We relayed to US officials importance of stability in Le...
- Bassil congratulates FPM on winning engineers' elections
- Mrad: Ready to prove Prosecutor Hammoud's interference in jud...